Velvet Nails using DIY Flocking Powder


I came across this DIY tutorial Make Your Own Flocking Powder by Keren Dukes and something clicked!

Yes I needed a light bulb. Credits to: http://www.animated-gifs.eu

I could really use this technique to do velvet nails.


Yee! Excited!

I then scoured our house for spare ribbons and found this:


Then I cut the sides and started pulling the horizontal threads away.


After taking out a good number of the horizontal threads, I started cutting finely the vertical ones. It ended up like a cottony lump at the bottom right of this picture

There's a close-up!
Then, apply a thick coat of polish that is the same shade as your flocking powder (in my case, red. Bloody rrred! Hwahahahaha)
Alright, after applying your thick coat, quickly take the lump of flocking powder and press it onto the nail.  Make sure that you cover the entire nail. Let it sit there as you do two more fingers.

Yes. It looks like a bird's nest.
Then, carefully, I mean very carefully, pluck the excess. If it did not stick to the polish, it should come right off. Then trim the sides for any excess using a nail cutter or small scissors.

And, there you go! You're very own velvet nails. The texture is very interesting. I can't help but rub it all the time!!
I wanted faux pearls as accent but since I cannot find any small enough for my nail, I just placed dots using white polish

Life Span:

The above photo was taken after I have slept with these nails so they look a little ruffled. 3 baths and 3 sleeptimes later, it was a mess I had to take it out. Next time, I do this I would probably wear gloves while taking a bath and sleeping so that I could prolong its life.




0 comments:

Facebook Comments by Statistically Happy

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Meet The Author